Do you want to learn the advanced blending effects with watercolor markers? Blending is one of the most important effects of any type of painting. Artists always want to get the perfect blending effects to create a unique look of their paintings. But it can be a little bit challenging depending upon the different coloring media. When we talk about the watercolor markers, it can be a little bit easier due to their controlled behavior.
Table of Content
Advanced Blending effects
When we are thinking about the advanced blending effects of the watercolor markers, there are different techniques to create those advanced blending effects. Let’s see the different ways to create advanced blending effects with watercolor markers.
Layering two colors
The two different color layering is one of the famous techniques to create advanced blending effects. You need to select your two colors according to your requirements and draw the outline of different shapes, depending upon your work. Make sure the first layer is a little bit dried before applying the second darker color. After that, you can use the clear water marker to pull the second color on the first one. It is just the start of the layering and blending.
- Make sure to clean out your clear water marker after the blending work. It’s necessary for the long life of the watercolor marker.
Use complementary colors
You need to choose at least three complementary colors and firstly put the lightest color on the paper. Make a solid block of color with this lighter color and use the other two colors at above and below to this solid block. After completing this process, now it’s time to use the clear water marker.
- Move the clear water back and forth starting from the above. Now slowly move down to the other colors.
- After that repeat the above step with starting from the below lighter color. This will create a perfect blending effect for you.
Create an ombre effect
The ombre effect can be achieved by rubbing the tip of the two-color marker together. In this technique make sure, you are applying the darker color on the lighter color. It will help you to see how much color is transferring to the brush. When you think that the one maker brush is loaded with the darker color, you can apply it on the page. This technique provides you the gradient which moves from dark to light. This is one of the best blending effects that can be achieved with watercolor markers.
Use water-proof medium as stamp
This is another technique in which you need to select three or more colors. Apply these colors on the paper according to your work and pattern. You can apply the colors outside of a plastic sandwich bag, or a wax paper.
- Now you can use the plastic sandwich bag as a stamp. You can flip the bag on the pre-moistened piece of paper.
- After applying the color on paper, you can use the fingers to apply the colors, and create the effects.
Use short curved strokes to create floral designs
Choose any color which you want and start creating dots on the page. Around these dots, you can use the same color to create strokes. Now take the clear water marker and move it according to your work, it will create lighter outward, and darker at the center. Continue this process until you get the desired consistency according to your work.
- You can also add the more colors dot to create the different effects according to your work.
- After that, you can add further detail around to complete your drying.
- You can also do an experiment by using a different color for dot, and outer stroke.
Develop your hand-lettering skills
You can also use the watercolor markers to produce the hand-lettering and calligraphy projects. In this technique, you need to increase the downward pressure on the marker brush for downward strokes and decrease the pressure on the tip for upward strokes. You can easily create the depth of the shadow using this technique.
- You can also do an experiment with advanced shading and blending techniques to create more stunning effects.
Some quick tips
Let’s see some quick tips which help you to get the perfect results with the watercolor markers. You can follow the bellow points about the watercolor markers.
- The tip of the watercolor marker is very important, it can suffer from wear and tear due to rough surfaces. So, you need to choose the perfect quality smooth, and heavy paper for watercolor markers.
- The paper can also get wrapped during watercolor marker use, so a good absorbent paper can protect you from this issue. For example, you can buy a paper which is specially made for watercolors.
- When the painting is done, you can use the varnish to protect your painting.
How to store the watercolor markers?
A proper storing of the watercolor markers is necessary to maintain the preciseness of the watercolor markers. But you don’t need to worry about it as it is easy to store the watercolor markers due to their compact design and shape. You can simply put the marker cap on it so that the marker tip may not get dry. Moreover, you also need to take care of the bending of the watercolor marker nib. A deform watercolor marker nib can make your marker useless. The bending can happen due to much pressure on the tip and bad storing of the watercolor markers.
From all the above discussion we can conclude that the blending effects are very important in any coloring mediums. When we talk about the watercolor markers, you can get the blending effects by using the watercolor markers like the brush watercolors. There are different blending techniques that many professional artists use. Some advanced blending techniques are listed above, you need to concentrate on these techniques.